Artist's rendering of King-Seeley's Ann Arbor plant on First Street


Artist's rendering of King-Seeley's Ann Arbor plant on First Street

Auto products sales manager Horace King and UM School of Engineering professor H. H. Seeley were the first to invent a dashboard-mounted gasoline gauge for cars. With another UM faculty member, John Airey, as manager, the company started up in 1922. Within three years it moved into a former tannery on Second Street, expanding eastward to First Street with a five-story factory in 1928 and again in 1937. The company had $10 million in sales and plants across the country and abroad by 1967 when it was sold and split up. The First Street factory remained in operation
through 2004.

from the 1947 King-Seeley annual report.


Article Keywords: Ann Arbor Businesses, Automobiles - Parts & Supplies, Business, Factories, King-Seeley Corp.
Date: 1947

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Image Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Historical Society

| Report Problem